Today, DJI is releasing its new smartphone gimbal stabilizer – Osmo Mobile 3. It features a compact foldable design with locking mechanisms for easier transportation. The gimbal also no longer obstructs the charging and audio ports, features automatic portrait-landscape switching, and supports many smart features of the DJI Mimo app. The Osmo Mobile 3 is available now.
I think gimbal stabilizers (regardless of the payload category) are in a very saturated segment of filmmaking gear and there are new gimbals coming all the time. Last year, DJI released the second generation of their gimbal for smartphones – Osmo Mobile 2 – featuring longer battery life and new smart features.
Now DJI releases the third generation – DJI Osmo Mobile 3. Its main selling point is the compact foldable design. It’s worth noting that the foldable design is not a new feature in the world of smartphone gimbals. There are already products out there which include it – two examples being MOZA Mini-S and FeyiuTech VLOG Pocket. What are all the features of the new Osmo Mobile 3?[embedded content]
DJI Osmo Mobile 3 is a portable, foldable mobile phone stabilizer. Thanks to its foldable design and locking mechanisms it is the most travel-friendly Osmo Mobile to date. The gimbal offers 15 hours of battery life, which is the same as the Osmo Mobile 2.
The new design makes vital controls manageable with one hand. Due to convenient buttons on the handle, users can control the gimbal’s movement and access useful features with ease. Quick Roll rotates the orientation from portrait to landscape by pressing the Mode (M) button twice without the need to remove the mobile device.
The redesigned form no longer obstructs the charging and audio ports, allowing for easy connection to charge the device or use external mics. A trigger helps maneuver the gimbal by locking orientation, rotating the gimbal for selfies, and even re-centering when tracking a subject.
By using ActiveTrack, users can tap the trigger once, and Osmo Mobile 3 will begin tracking while keeping the subject centered within the frame. Zooming in and out with the dedicated zoom slider on the side of the stabilizer is also possible. Additionally, users have the option to customize zoom speed based on personal preference.
DJI Mimo App Features
Osmo Mobile 3 works together with DJI Mimo app via Bluetooth 5.0 and offers a variety of preprogrammed modes and features:
- Story Mode: The app features a host of preset music, video transitions, and filters. Users can choose one of 13 templates and Mimo will handle the camera movement. After shooting, the app automatically generates a short edited video, ready to be shared instantly.
- Gesture Control: This function can snap a selfie without pressing any buttons. Once Gesture Control is enabled, show a “peace sign” or put up your palm and Osmo Mobile 3 will begin a photo timer countdown.
- Sport Mode: Similar to the useful feature from the DJI Ronin series, Sport mode increases the response speed of the device to keep up when shooting fast-moving scenes.
- ActiveTrack 3.0: DJI’s image recognition and deep learning algorithms allow Osmo Mobile 3 to recognize and follow selected subjects with a simple tap on the screen.
- TimeLapse & MotionLapse: With MotionLapse, users can add the dynamic element of movement to the Timelapse by setting points for the camera to move to.
- HyperLapse: Users can add movement by manually moving Osmo Mobile 3. Additionally, HyperLapse not only supports real-time Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) but also ActiveTrack 3.0.
- Panorama: Get a wider perspective with panorama mode. Users can choose between 3×3 and 180° panorama modes.
- Slow Motion: Available as 4X or 8X Slow Motion. This is most likely dependent on a type of smartphone used.
Price and Availability
Osmo Mobile 3 is available for purchase today. The price starts at €109 for the standard version which includes Osmo Mobile 3, a wrist strap, storage pouch, and anti-slip pads. For €129 you can get the Osmo Mobile 3 combo which includes all the components of the standard version along with the Osmo Grip Tripod and the Osmo Carrying Case. Additionally, Osmo Mobile 3 is covered under the DJI Care Refresh for an additional €10.
What do you think of the new Osmo Mobile 3? Do you currently need a gimbal for your phone? Let us know in the comments underneath the article.